Tuesday, September 15, 2009

La beauté cosmétique

I think I must be going through a new teenage phase: obsession with cosmetics. After 30 years, I have finally learnt how to apply eyeshadow without looking like someone punched me in the face. After yesterday's dabbling with the paint pots, I really felt that euphoric 'yes! I can do this' feeling. It's fun and pretty harmless, but I still feel a little embarrassed about admitting to this new found pastime. I mean, aren't I a serious person? I do read books that don't have pictures in them and are mostly about history and yet here I am getting excited about products called smut and dazzlelight.
I've also developed a similar passion for nail polish, but I can't claim to have reached a eureka moment as to its application. There are streaks, and chipping occurs instantly, not helped by the fact that I cook like a toddler creating mess and spillage, death and destruction wherever I go. And that is why yesterday, after applying 3 coats of Reno Mavala nail polish, plus base and top coat, I decided I would scrub beets, peel carrots and make a pâte brisée with my ten little digits. Cue chips, dyed red fingers and smudges. I need to get to the bottom of why I bother, because apparently I'm not ready to give up.

3 comments:

Just Me said...

Nice! hehe.
I am the same way about make-up. Never got the hang of it or ever really wore it for years. In the past couple years I started doing it as a hobby thing. I think I am getting preatty decent at it without looking like a clown.
Youtube has been a real help on that. :)
Not into nail polish tho. I am horrible with nail polish and am afraid to go there yet.

Stef G said...

Hi and thanks for commenting!
Yup, youtube has been a fount of knowledge frankly, and also helping me waste a lot of time:)

Stef

Just Me said...

Wasting time... Yes indeed! That does happen a lot if I start browsing videos. :P