Thursday, August 28, 2008

No direction home?

There is very little I miss from Blighty, and overbrewed orange builder's tea is certainly not one of them. Nor do I miss overpriced coffee from identikit coffee shops. However, there are a handful of things I do yearn for:



Buttered crumpet is one, though I haven't eaten one in three years, so I may be romanticising somewhat.
The Saturday edition of the Guardian. A full week's worth of entertainment, the highlight being the Guide (featured on the right hand side in the middle) for its ironic wit in describing films, TV and radio programs. Man, I could weep. Again, not read for the best part of 3 years so it may not be worth the paper its printed on anymore. But oh! to feel the weight of its 1.5kg goodness in my hands on Saturday morning as I purchase my croissants...



Other than that? Well, I miss speaking English, the bookshops (full of books in English, good books even!), British TV (but not all that much), London (only a tiny bit). Overall, what I have here more than compensates for what I can't have.

No comments: