Saturday, August 30, 2008

Quand est-ce qu'on mange?

Well, not being otherwise engaged, I have of course got food on the brain. I found this list via Chocolate & Zucchini who got it from somewhere else.


1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at http://www.verygoodtaste.co.uk/ linking to your results.

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:
1. Venison
2. Nettle tea (along with fennel tea, rosehip tea, hibiscus tea and the like - strong hippy tendencies here)
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding (I get cravings for this, but I have yet to try the Swedish version - the packaging is not very appetizing and it never really looks fresh)
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht (the one I ate was of polish extraction)
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho (sounds quite nice though)
13. PB&J sandwich (Being British, I hopped over the jam part, so I shall not claim this one)
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses (yum)
17. Black truffle (a long time ago, before I was old enough to appreciate it)
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes (raspberry I believe it was)
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries (are there any poor souls that haven't?)
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese (I probably have eaten this, but can't remember)
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper (erm, why would you do that?)
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl (that particular one wasn't very nice I seem to recall)
33. Salted lassi (regular lassi is excellent - might like to try this one)
34. Sauerkraut (I love a good sauerkraut me, I made one once and it involved goose fat and a whole bottle of Riesling - gorgeous)
35. Root beer float (Root beer tastes like how I image paint stripper to taste)
36. Cognac with a fat cigar (Cognac certainly, but no cigar)
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects
43. Phaal (given my inability to handle super spicy stuff, I'll probably give this one a miss)
44. Goat’s milk (a phase in my early teens)
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu (why run the risk?)
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel (probably have, but can't remember)
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut (there was only Dunkin' Donuts in Glasgow)
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear (I prefer the French name 'figue de Barbarie', much more evocative)
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle (my year in Germany was rich in these)
57. Dirty gin martini (was quite gross actually)
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine (looks particularly unappetizing)
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst (Gotta love the German stuff in this list)
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs (last night actually)
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis (I don't see what people get so revulsed about)
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost (bizarro)
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky (called Mikado where I come from)
84. Tasting menu at a three Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake

No comments: