Friday, August 29, 2008

unwelcome revelations

I was in the audience for this program yesterday, and though the subjects debated were all very interesting in their own right (communication monitoring to ward off terrorist threats, male/female equality and the effects of the tourist industry on third world countries), the most important thing I learned last night had nothing to do with any of it. It's much, much more mundane than that. As I sat listening, straining my every nerve and sinew to understand the gist of what was going on, it dawned on me: my Swedish, functions perfectly well in day to day situations and I can deal with most stuff, both listening and speaking, but here, I was totally out of my league. My Swedish just doesn't cut the mustard, pal. However, that doesn't mean I'm currently wallowing in a pit of self-despair, far from it (ok, well just a little bit then). No, I now feel that I have the motivation to improve my Swedish so that I can become a fully functioning member of its society, one that understands!

I know what this means though: I'll actually have to do some language work, and I am quite literally the worst student in the world (I know what they are like, I am after all a teacher), no self-discipline whatsoever. So I guess I'm setting myself up for another fall! Go me.





Sigh

No comments: